I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: there is no meal in this life better than brunch. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that you can simultaneously drink coffee, mimosas, and wine all before 2 p.m., or if it’s the delicately handcrafted breakfast foods. What I do know, however, is that if brunch isn’t a part of your weekly routine, you ought to pencil it in!
For brunch, McCaela whipped up some crepes and we topped it with my homemade mixed berry sauce. This sauce goes great with breakfast foods, cakes, and anything chocolate! It’s incredibly easy to make, and can be customized to your tastes. Try it with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, you name it! You can’t go wrong.
Mixed Berry Sauce:
- 2 cups mixed berries of choice (For this sauce, I used frozen blackberries from our garden and fresh blueberries)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or coconut sugar, if paleo)
- Add coconut milk to medium sized sauce pan and set over medium heat. Add berries.
- Allow berries to sit over the heat, stirring occasionally as they warm up.
- With a fork, begin to mash up the berries, and stir in the powdered (or coconut) sugar.
- For 5-7 minutes, constantly stir and mash the berry sauce with a fork over medium heat until you reach desired thickness. The longer you keep it on the heat, the thicker the sauce will become.
Et voila! Delicious berry sauce for crepes, best topped with honey and/or maple syrup (and served with champagne, of course).
I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day! What are your favorite brunch items and recipes? I also have a sweet spot for waffles, which go great with this berry sauce too, I might add!